March 4, 2008

My 1st Farmstay experience

the hydroponic lettuce farm planting 6 species of lettuces


a big house with a swimming pool


a big farm, a weird black flower planted behind the house

I joined the FHiNZ as a member before I went to NZ. That is because I heard of many other people's farm stay experience and really wanted to have a try.

I choose to stay in this lettuce farm at Albany because of the nearer location & thought that it might not a hard work for me. :)

I was so excited when Heidi told me that I can be the helper and stay at their farm for a few days. She came to pick me up from the Oaklands Lodge. Heidi & Martin had a hydroponic lettuce farm and they live in a perfect house. But the farm is actually manage by her dad, Andrew.


Jessica is mowing the lawn

Jessica (Heidi's cousin) is another helper to Andrew. She is nice & friendly. We shared about everything for our own country. She is a pop dancer and also the first Maori girl I knew in NZ.

Basically what I need to do are help on the farm picking, packing the lettuce, seeding and gardening. Hydroponics is not hard work but must be picked freshly and got out to their customers quickly.The first day was not a good day to me because I didn't expected that it was such a hot day and I had to expose and work under the hot sun for few hours. The worst was I didn't put on enough sun screen and wearing a short sleeve T. I got sun burn after work done. I never expect that I'll get sun burn in nz.

red & green lettuces

I tried to learn the lesson for next day, so I put on everything that I need to protect my skin. Guess what, it started to rain just when I started my work. That day was so cold and I even needed to work in the rain. ><
Sasa, me, Piper-Rose & Sophia

Victoria is Headi's mom, she is such a nice and caring woman and she treated me very well.

Dinner by Victoria~yummy tomato pasta & creamy chicken rice

the obedient dog named India

No comments:

Post a Comment